Re: "equivalent alternatives" etc.

"Hansen, Eric" wrote:

> I believe that ATAG uses the term "equivalent alternatives" while UAAG uses
> the term "alternative equivalents". I think that if both documents intend
> the same thing, they should use the same term.

Yes, if there's only one term used. I don't find it jolting to
say "a text equivalent for the image" and "equivalent text
for the image" in the same document. It's perhaps slightly better
to use the term consistently, but I don't think it causes confusion.

Still, I support consistency.

> I think that neither term has been solidly defined.
>
> I am not sure what to make of these terms. Keep in mind that according the
> the WCAG definition of "equivalent" already includes the notion of it being
> "alternative". The equivalent is an alternative way of providing the
> function.

I remember your reticence about this in the WCAG 1.0 discussions, but
as I recall, the WG decided to go ahead with the expression. (I
looked through archives for the discussion, but couldn't find the
info. Meanwhile, Eric, a missing style sheet (at least one [1])
prevents me (with broken Netscape) from reading your revisions
of last April).

[1] http://etsr.digitalchainsaw.com/wcagpub/style/default.css

a> E-mail: ehansen@ets.org
> (W) 609-734-5615 (Voice)
> FAX 609-734-1090

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783