Re: Re-using SVG components

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> The benefit of having the desc defined within the symbol is that it reduces
> teh amount of work required, and provides a simple mechanism to ensure that
> people can use well--described graphic elements from libraries.

Yes.

> The benefit
> of having it as a sibling for a use element is that it is easier to write a
> player that does not need to dereference the URI of the use element.

I have no idea what you mean by that. How can a symbol be used without
fetching it?

Besides, these descriptions would be different. One is the description
of a symbol; the other is the description of one usage of a symbol.

> But it
> seems like that would only really apply to a generic XML renderer that used
> a style sheet to render some textual content, and make no use of Xlink.

The former is possible and desirable, the latter is not a good idea.

--
Chris