RE: Cognition

At 02:39 PM 8/3/1999 -0400, Chuck Hitchcock wrote:
>By the way, images are just one alternative form of information for
>non-readers.  Talking browsers with synchronized highlighting provide support
>for children and adults who cannot read as well.

The talking browsers must allow viewing of the graphics as well as
highlighting the text being read. They are useless without this feature.

The hard work is ahead.  How
>do you provide support that will encourage kids to read on their own when
they
>can but provide text-to-speech support when they cannot?  We have been
working
>on this problem but have much to do to accomplish what Al Gilman described as
>"even strain".

Chuck, children are likely to progress from text-to-speech to reading on
their own when the content permits on their own, because once they can
read, reading is faster than listening to the text read to them. (perhaps
some research to be sure this happens would be in order?) The "even strain"
probably needs to be applied individually rather than to a class at a time,
and will require coordination of the material, the teacher, the student,
and if motivation is critical, the parents and significant others in the
student's life. I'm not sure you can do much with the "even strain" from a
distance.

				Anne

Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1