Re: Fw: Checkpoint 3.3

One thing we are faced with is that the guidelines are so new to the
world that they do not know how to take them.  we must make it clear
that the guidelines in and of them selves cannot be made into
requirements but are the substance from which requirements can be
drawn.  I think people should be pointed to the html 4.0spec and its
guidance documentation and then as a view toward requirement/standards
development for accessibility encouraged to work with the guidelines.
we have other guidelines coming out which may suffer the same fate.
Look at the ua guidelines for example.  the authoring tools
guidelines.  those to impact how software for interfacing with and
designing the web is developped.  we cannot we must not use them
directly as standards or requirements, but as guides toward
accomplishing accessibility.
if I understood the eitaac process at all, it was encouraged that the
guidelines be followed when promulgated in determining how accessible
a site would be and developping it accordingly.  508 mandates
accessibility if it mandates anything at all but does not necessarily
mandate the process for achieving it.  It is the media hype and the
agency enterpretation that is doing this to us.  tell them to lay off
and learn.

--
Hands-On Technolog(eye)s
Touching The Internet: