Re: PRI - 10 abbreviations and acronyms

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999 thatch@us.ibm.com wrote:

>  On the abbreviations and acronyms issue, I believe that it is sound
> style to exand these at natural points in the text. But this is neither
> a requirement, nor something that is disabilities related, in my
> opinion.

I would agree, were it not for the question of cognitive disabilities,
dyslexia, etc., which I raised in my earlier message. In the absence of
input from people with expertise in this area, it would be somewhat
presumptuous to lower the priority of this checkpoint. Obviously, the more
that acronyms and abbreviations appear in a document, the more important
it is for the reader to be aware of the correct expansion, but the basic
point remains a question of facilitating comprehension of the document,
and the priority of the checkpoint should be judged on this basis. Braille
translation, and to a lesser extent speech synthesis, will benefit from
this markup.