FW: A Fatal Flaw and Other Problems

Hi Eric

RE: THE RATING SYSTEM AND BIAS
I don't quite follow your fatal flaw argument.  The impact IS the determiner
of the imperative.  That is, if the item is required for access, then it is
priority 1.  At least that is what we were using as the rule.  This rule was
worked out after much discussion early in the process.

The judgements as to what became a priority one then were made based upon
asking the question "is it possible to access the information under question
if this technique were not done?"     Each judgement was either taken from
listserv discussion comments or made by the editors based on the discussion
and then put before the whole working group for discussion and confirmation.
(and then the whole ig and other external review groups and then the public)

Having two sets of ratings sounds like it would be very confusing.
Especially since the two of them would track each other.

You said that some things were rated lower because they were difficult.  Do
you have an example of this?   We are not aware of any.

There were some problems that existed when we had ratings on the Guidelines…
but as you noted they have been removed from the guidelines.  Your comments
in previous postings on that only confirmed our tentative decision to pull
them and they are now gone.    Your example was of a guideline priority
problem (now gone).  Do you have any examples with techniques?

RE:  ACCESS HAS NO COST

Your comment about the document saying there is no cost for accessibility is
a good one.   That statement goes beyond what it was supposed to.  Access
does not necessarily mean more cost - but it can and in some cases does.
We will amend that statement to say

"_Creating pages that transform gracefully is not NECESSARILY more costly_,
but requires a different design approach that also makes page compatible
with emerging mobile technologies"

You are also correct that the statement is there to help build the case for
using the guidelines.   Thanks for pointing out the overstatement.

RE: TOPICS LIKE cultural, sensitivity, legal, economic, marketing, etc THAT
ARE NOT COVERED IN THE DOC

YOU WROTE:
I have suggested many other issues that could be addressed in the guidelines
(e.g., language, cultural, sensitivity, legal, economic, marketing, etc.),
but, except for partial treatment of the language issue, to best of my
knowledge, the other suggestions have been ignored. Is it possible that the
working group could not see a way to address the issues cheaply via page
markup and that, therefore, they simply chose to act as though the
accessibility problems do not exist?

RESPONSE
The reason these were not included is not because of cost issues.  It is
because these are not disability access issues.   A person with a disability
is not denied access to the information because of cultural or sensitivity
issues etc any more than a person without a disability.  The focus of the
guidelines is on accessibility not on good design. (though we were sorely
tempted to put some good practices into the guidelines that were not access
oriented, we either resisted or ended up pulling them back out).

RE: GREATER FOCUS ON PEOPLE WHO ARE BLIND

This issue has come up many times.  Help us understand here what you mean
exactly.

 The document does not have (that we know of ) a greater focus on people who
are blind.  It addresses every problem we could think of for every
disability type.   At least that has always been the goal.   There are
currently more blindness barriers than there are for say people with hearing
disabilities.   And most physical disabilities are not effected by page
design as much as by the design of the User Agent.   Cognitive is probably
the toughest one.  We have techniques for people with no sight or no hearing
or even physical movement.  But we have no solutions for providing access to
most content on the web for people who have no cognition…. Or almost no
cognition… or even moderate to severe impairment of cognition.   This area
starts to move from how the information is presented to the content of the
information itself.

If you have any specific guidelines or techniques that would increase access
for people with any type of disability please post them to the list pronto.
We don't know of any that were missed (but there has been a lot of traffic).

REGARDING YOUR 6 ACTION ITEMS

Each item is below followed by a comment. The comments are labeled GV:

#1. Uncouple the "impact" ratings from "imperative for use" ratings. They
are separate and must be allowed to vary independently (although, in my
view, the impact ratings inform the generation of the imperative for use
ratings). The impact rating indicates the severity of the _problem_ while
the imperative for use rating is essentially a rating of the importance of
implementing the technique as a _solution_. I believe that to keep the two
ratings together would continually and fatally bias and confuse the
interpretation of the ratings; it would also perpetuate the misconception
that cost considerations are unimportant or irrelevant to the document.

GV:   We are only rating the importance of the proposed solutions or
techniques.  We are not rating the problems.  As you suggest, the ratings of
the techniques are derived from the severity of the problem they address.

#2. Affirm the existence of other important Web accessibility problems even
if you don't plan to provide specific guidelines or techniques for
addressing them.

GV:  Which ones are you referring to?   Be happy to do this.

#3. Minimize accusations of bias by telling the truth about the document's
scope and limitations. Provide a principled rationale or justification for
the exclusions. I don't think that this is that hard to do. It just has to
be done.

GV:  Made an edit to address the example you cited.  Are there others?

#4. Do not deny the role of cost considerations in the document.
(a) Do not deny that solving some accessibility issues will cost money.
(b) Do not deny that the working group considers matters of cost in
determining the "imperative for use" ratings or even in determining which
problems will be addressed by techniques. Financial considerations
essential for generating "imperative for use" ratings. (The "impact"
ratings would be much less affected by cost considerations.)

GV:  a) we have changed the edit to cover that
b) where do you see financial considerations being used.  We are not aware
of any.  They were not part of the criteria for any work group member that I
know of.

#5. Describe how the ratings are produced.

GV:   We thought the definitions did that.   We will relook.  Check the
latest version when it is posted.

#6. Describe the qualifications of the individuals or group that produced
the ratings. (Note: I believe that failure to do any of #1 through #5
places an excessive burden -- probably an impossible burden -- upon the
expertise and authority of the people making the judgements. I don't think
that it is fair to expect anyone to shoulder that burden.) How were people
with disabilities represented among those developing the ratings?

GV:  Offda.   There are a lot of people in the workgroup.  Or do you mean
just the editors and chairs?  The rating system however was developed by the
working group after A LOT of discussion.  And yes, there are people with
disabilities on the working group (which is open) though we have not asked
people to identify their disabilities.

I hope I captured all your comments.   There has also been a lot of
additional discussion on the list on many of these topics that is very good
to review.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.