Re: HTTP guidelines (was: Re: Language information)

While Apache is the single most popular webserver there are many people
using other systems. However there is, in HTML, the META HTTP-EQUIV
construction, which effectively allows pages to specify their own headers.

This can (usually) be successfully exploited in one of the situation where
control is impossible - the use of a CD, disc, etc to provide a website.
Because these are very cheap to produce (CD's can be produced for around
USD$1 in bulk, and around USD$3 in very small quantities) and can be used
to serve multimedia materials much faster than the web they represent an
important part of the user base.

--Charles McCathieNevile -  mailto:charles@w3.org
phone:(temporary) +1 (617) 258 8143  http://purl.oclc.org/net/charles

W3C Web Accessibility Initiative -  http://www.w3.org/WAI