Re: Redundant alt text??

For those who haven't looked at the SNOW site, I have copied a
Lynx dump below.

Greg,

I am delighted that you wrote.  The SNOW site is such a marvelous
resource that it is a strong candidate to be on our hit list of
highly-publicized good sites.  But there is this problem with the
barrage of links at the head, as you have said.

I agree that the image and text links done the way it is on
<http://snow.utoronto.ca/index.html> at present amounts to
overkill.  On the other hand, even the text links alone are not
really a good idea at this position in the reading flow.

This issue was covered pretty well in a discussion thread
that took place on the interest group list.  Pardon the indirection,
but if you go to
<http://www.access.digex.net/~asgilman/lynx/bookmarks/toplinks.html>
you will find links to both the discussion thread on WAI-IG
list and the ACB site where the hyperlink remedy is used.

The general idea is that you should make it easier for the
visitor browsing in audio to get to the prose on this page.

Al

--

                    [1]Navigation Bar: Text Links Below
               | [2]Events | [3]Search | [4]Index | [5]Help |

    | [7]Professional Development | [8]Curriculum | [9]Best Practices |
   [10]Off To School | [11]Technical Help | [12]Resources | [13]Forums |
    [14]SNOW Kids | [15]New at SNOW | [16]Featured Course | [17]Related
                                  Sites |

   SNOW (Special Needs Opportunity Windows) is a project aimed at
   supporting educators of students with special needs. Our web site
   serves as a clearinghouse of practical resources and curriculum
   materials, as a place for educators to meet and share ideas, and as a
   place for educators to develop their professional skills.
   If you are a teacher or parent interested in participating in SNOW,
   you can contribute in a number of ways. The easiest way to join our
   community is to participate in our [18]online discussion forums. You
   may also [19]add a link to our site, either your own site, or one you
   think would add to the resources at SNOW. If you are interested in
   sharing curriculum material via the SNOW site, an upload/download
   feature is available in the [20]Shared Curriculum section of the site.
   To volunteer for the SNOW team, fill out the [21]participation form.
   You may also keep abreast of the happenings at SNOW by adding yourself
   to the [22]SNOW mailing list. If you are interested in creating and
   moderating an online workshop or course, please contact us at
   [23]snow.general@utoronto.ca.
   Also, be sure to check out [24]SNOW Kids, our sister site with
   activities for special needs children! To find out more about the
   project and our sponsors, visit our [25]About SNOW information page,
   and to see what's new, visit the [26]NEW at SNOW page.

         [27]Powered by Silicon Graphics Computer Systems [28]ATRC
                         [29]Goverment of Ontario