Re: Priority for Techniques Dealing with Foreign Language Markup

Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU> wrote:

> 1. With Unicode as the official HTML character set, and the possibility
> that any character within the entire repertoire may potentially appear
> within the document, the need for explicit language markup becomes even
> more acute.

Exactly.  And Unicode 3.0 is even trying to include language tags by
itself in Plane 14.

> 2. I recall having read that there is an HTTP header which allows the
> language, not just the character set, of the document to be conveyed to
> the user agent.

Yes, there is a "Content-Language" HTTP response header.  For example,
<http://www.w3.org/Press/1998/DOM-REC> is provided in 6 languages,
namely, Dutch, English, French, German, Japanese and Swedish.
We're adding appropriate Content-Language header in addition to
charset parameter of Contnt-Type header.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org
W3C - World Wide Web Consortium