Re: introducing new semantics to HTML

MAP with block-level content is currently presented as if the MAP element
were not there. The content is rendered, and the MAP is not related to
the image. (I tested this with MSIE 4 and Netscape 4.07 and Lynx)

Which is a minor problem for users. On the other hand, both browsers
tolerate the technically incorrect construction of a MAP which has both
AREAs and block-level content. They render the content, and associate the
AREAs with the MAP.

So I think it is OK to use MAP to cluster links, or to provide AREA-based
imagemaps. I don't know if it violates the specification to have an
imagemap which nothing refers to.

I would like to see MAP allowed to carry both blocks and AREA
simultaneously. And I think I would like to see it as a block-level
element. (I am not sure of this one.)

I would like to see UAs provide the content of A links in the same way as
they provide the ALT-text of AREAs.

And then I would be a happy camper, suggesting that everyone's
CSS2-compliant browser be  used with a stylesheet that does things which
are appropriate to them with MAP and [USEMAP] and not worried about what
classes they were.

Otherwise I think we should revisit the idea of CLASS="nav", which I
think is an inferior solution.

cheers

Charles McCathieNevile