Re: Content model of MAP element (was Re: Stupid)

There seems to be general consensus that the spec won't allow both
block-level and AREA in the same MAP. Which is a shame - block-level
content seems a better way to go in the long run. In the short term,
putting in block-level links means that the links are displayed, but
the imagemap doesn't work. Which will not recommend it to authors...

If we could put in both block-level and AREA, then we would have to
change the specification or violate the 'use a valid w3c technology where
possible' rule, which I wouldn't do for this. There is however no reason
why that can't be done in the next lot of HTML and the UA guidelines

Charles McCathieNevile