Re: navigation bars

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Marja-Riitta Koivunen wrote:
> What I really would like to have is a navigation bar that is always
> available to the user at a consistent place in each page and which highlighs
> the current selection. The highlighting tells the user immediately where he
> is at that site (what he selected earlier) and the navigation bar what the
> other higher level topics are. This is important for orienting every user.

The guidelines which require consistency in the design of all pages on a
site, should partially meet this requirement. However, another mechanism
which is also relevant here is the LINK element, with the predefined REL
and REV values provided in the HTML 4.0 specification. This approach was
briefly mentioned in today's teleconference, but it was not decided
whether authors should be encouraged to use this technique, and what
recommendations the user agent group should make with regard to it.

Since the usage of LINK is defined in HTML 4.0, a conforming user agent
should support it; but how well is it implemented by current software? I
assume that a user agent which directly supports, for example, speech
output could read the links automatically or at the user's request, and
that they could also be made available via the DOM to external software
components.