Re: markup conventions: a "toplinks" convention

Yes, and yes.  But in part it is a concession to those who say
"just tell me what to do."  You are right that having an accepted
cliche for the link text for this function is in a way more
important than having a conventional value for the NAME of the
link destination.  So long as the NAME cited in the jump link and
the one at the destination match, that is the critical
requirement.

Well, I wanted to assert that string because otherwise others
will name that point "jump-header" which is the role that this
point plays as viewed from the origin of the bypass link.  But
not in general.  I wanted it named in a way which was generic
across its use as a destination from the head of the header and
from random points across the web.  And to get people to satisfy
that criterion, I thought it was easiest to just tell them the
text to use, not the rule to satisfy.  It's a pedagogical problem
with the absolutely-least-constraining technical solution.

Al