RE: Okay, is this better?

True, but most of this is contextual in nature. It's really difficult make
a hard and fast statement. Technical writing often finds itself in similar
situations when describing graphical entities in text books (or at least I
did when I was writing). It's why I've always recommended that a web site
be designed by a team consisiting minimally of: tech writer, graphic
artist/designer, engineer, usability engineer and marketing.

 Mike