Response from TESLCA-L to WAI

SEE INTRO MESSAGE AT BOTTOM.

In a message dated 98-02-07 12:11:06 EST, mholmes@UVIC.CA writes:

<< Subj:	      Re: www address:Audio/video Internet Interface
 Date:	98-02-07 12:11:06 EST
 From:	mholmes@UVIC.CA (Martin Holmes)
 Sender:	TESLCA-L@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (TESLCA-L: TESL and Technology Branch of
TESL-L List)
 Reply-to:	mholmes@UVIC.CA (Martin Holmes)
 To:	TESLCA-L@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

 ---------------------- Information from the mail header
-----------------------
 Sender:       "TESLCA-L: TESL and Technology Branch of TESL-L List"
               <TESLCA-L@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
 Poster:       Martin Holmes <mholmes@UVIC.CA>
 Subject:      Re: www address:Audio/video Internet Interface

 HI all,

 Is this really intended to apply to all Web pages we create? I cannot
 imagine how I would implement an audio equivalent of a 3-frame JavaScript
 reading passage with an interactive multiple-choice quiz, at least without
 putting 10 meg of sound files on the server and slowing down the site
 dreadfully. Is this realistic? Audio works dreadfully at the best of times,
 but if every site were encumbered with it, the bandwidth problem would be
 terminal, surely. I have a little applet called "Read2Me" on my PC which
 will read any piece of text out loud -- pretty robotically, but it's early
 days for this kind of technology. Wouldn't it be better for users to have
 this kind of app on their machines?

 Incidentally, how could a piece of video simultaneously have a soundtrack
 of its own and a description of itself "in an auditory form synchronized
 with the audio track"?

 Cheers,
 Martin

 At 05:18 AM 07/02/98 EST, you wrote:
 >Regarding the new accessibility requirements (for the visually- and
hearning-
 >impaired) proposed by the WAI--the attachment I sent did not reach the List.
 >So here is the address:
 >www.w3.org/TR/WD-WAI-PAGEAUTH
 >Go to #4 (Audio-Video)
 >Here are the 4 requirements for Website authors
 >#1 Provide a text description of all video information
 >#2 Provide descriptions of all video information in an auditory form
 >synchronized with the audio track
 >#4 Synchronize text & video description information with audio/video
 >information, either directly or via a synchronization file
 >Global Krashenian Cornucopia of Comprehensible Input!

(LSMTP for OpenVMS v1.1a) with SMTP id
Greetings,
I posted INFO about the Audio/Video requirements on the international TESLCA-L
Listserve. I'm sending along one of the responses.

The planet's English (etc.) learners will benefit tremendously from this
development.
Interesting "comprehensible input" will now be available in abundance on the
Internet.
This can be a tremendous incentive for EFL learners to get on the Net.
Regarding the LA Conference:
*The internationally-influential advocate of the power of "comprehensible
input" is USC professor Stephen Krashen. He could offer an enlightening
perspective on the WAI and the world of English learning. A colleague of mine
has Dr. Krashen as his Doctoral Chairperson. I'd be glad to serve as a bridge
person.
*As a freelance journalist, I would like to report on the LA Conference for
the ESL/EFL  field. Could you send me a Press Pass?

<10.C7B95C15@PEAR.EASE.LSOFT.COM>; Sat, 7 Feb 1998 12:10:01 -0500