Re: Question About Item in Check list

to follow up on what Wendy A Chisholm said:

> In the latest version that we are working on (to be posted in the near
> future) it  reads:

> Place distinguishing information at the beginning of headings, paragraphs,
> lists, etc. to decrease the amount of sifting readers perform to find
> important information.

> does this answer your question?
> --wendy

Al::
As I read these two snippets, they say different things.  So the
second doesn't explain what the first meant.

> At 12:14 PM 1/15/98 -0600, Jon Gunderson wrote:

> >This phrase appears in the tip section of the guidelines.
> > What does it mean?

> >7. Front-load link phrases in lists.

Al::
The way I read that injunction it says that the anchor, the
sensitive text, should appear at or near the start of the text
content of the LI element.

By the way, this is a mixed blessing.  It is good for Braille
users and users of screen enlargers.  Sighted people like it
because the array of clickables falls in a neat, easily mouseable
stack on the screen.  But on the whole it has a negative effect
in speech, where it is better to reverse this and put the action
opportunity at the end of the explanation.  Gregory Rosmaita has
beat me up over this one regarding some pages we discussed.

But of course, that has been overtaken by events as far as the
current draft is concerned.

The current text sounds like the standard advice to start
paragraphs with topic sentences and sections with topic
paragraphs.  Good advice which can become critical under the
stress of adverse access conditions.

-- Al