RE: Murky ratings

I hope it's not too late for me to add my 2 cents....

Through this conversation it has become apparent, (at least to me), that we
are wanting the to fulfill two distinct purposes with the guidelines that
should  be separated.

1. Guidelines -  as in "best practices" that should assist the direction
(guide) of page authors.
2. Guidelines -  as in "requirements" which are necessary to fulfill.

I think our goal is 1, and the discussion of 2 should be handled by RC. If
this were the case, the database approach would be appropriate.

We would also might want to consider abandoning the "required" vs
"recommended" language.

David Clark
CAST, Inc.