Re: Draft Formatting

Jason White wrote:

> Another approach would be to update the log of changes, although this
> would involve more work for the editors, who are already very busy.
> Perhaps a compromise would be, when announcing new draft of the
> guidelines, to include in the message sent to the list an indication of
> the major changes which have been made since the previous version. These
> could perhaps also be included in the changes log. Minor corrections would
> not need to be noted in this way.

Before each release of a CSS2 (or HTML4) specification, I:

a) Compile a list of changes since the previous version by
   reviewing the CVS logs. Not all the information in the CVS
   logs is appropriate for distribution (e.g., it's boring or
editorial),
   so some filtering by the editors is useful.

b) Attach the list of changes to the announcement of the release of
   the spec.

What I should do, but don't is make each list of changes available
from the Working Group's home page (or some other suitable location).
People have to hunt through mail archives to find the changes, which
they shouldn't have to do.

I would rather keep the list of changes between drafts separate
from the document than including them in an appendix, for example.

Ian

--
Ian Jacobs / 401 Second Ave. #19G / New York, NY 10010 USA
Tel/Fax: (212) 684-1814          Email: jacobs@w3.org