Explicit vs. implicit label association

At 12:19 PM 13/04/98 -0400, Al Gilman wrote (on the IG list):
>That is another good example.  There are probably cases where it
>is better.  But it is not "the correct" way to do it, to the
>exclusion of the earier example, so far as I can tell.  I believe
>that the previous example also satisfies the purpose of the
>guideline.  The earlier example has the advantage of making the
>least change in the appearance of the page.

The current GL draft says that the earlier example is not acceptable.
Section 8.2 [1] requires that authors "Associate labels with their controls
explicitly. [New] The 'for' attribute of the LABEL element allows explicit
association."  Since there is nothing wrong with implicit association of
labels, I would suggest the following change:

Associate labels with their form controls. [New] The LABEL element allows
authors to associate a form control with its label.

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WD-WAI-PAGEAUTH-0413.html#Forms

--
Liam Quinn