RE: [check 7] ALT text can't be empty (null or all spaces) if ima ge is used as an anchor

I think you've got your finger on a problem with the techniques and
guidelines. The HTML techniques provide a few techniques designed to prevent
null link text, but none of them say in so many words that's the objective.
I think we decided to move some of that to the Gateway techniques, which
would describe the general case of hyperlinks independent of technology. But
that isn't in the current draft of the Gateway either. Also, when we mapped
HTML techniques to WCAG 2.0 I think link text was one of the holes, where it
didn't seem the guidelines spoke clearly enough about.

My personal perspective is that hyperlinks should never have null link text.
How you achieve the link text, from text or image alt text inside the link,
doesn't matter, but it needs to be present. There should be a guideline that
says so in so many words (along with forbidding meaningless link text). The
Gateway techniques would probably expound on that, and the HTML techniques
would cover the cases Chris has been describing - various combinations of
images (with and without alt text) and text inside links.

Michael