Re: Sesame

hi Shadi

I'm the author of Inkling, and I should emphasise that it's
experimental, demonstrator software, which I'm also in the process of
rewriting significantly, with the emphasis on smallness and ease of use.

I built it for myself - I'm a Semantic Web researcher - and I can't
really provide a great deal of support for it, nor guarantee that it
will work in a scalable way (it can however handle 200,000+ triples
comfortably with a postgres backend database, and I'm happy to answer
questions and help where I can. It's also handy for testing experimental
approaches to querying small documents, for example using
http://swordfish.rdfweb.org:085/rdfquery, and the little demo I wrote
at a WAI meeting which you reference below).

If you want something scalable and well-supported, Sesame and Jena are
good choices for Java. Sesame and Jena support a similar query language
to Squish (RDQL); Sesame also has two other query languages - RQL and
SeRQL, and support for simple inferencing (subclassing and
subproperties). The Sesame and Jena developers are friendly and
helpful, and can be found on IRC (irc.freenode.net channel #rdfig) and
on various mailing lists (www-rdf-rules@w3.org (RDF query),
jena-dev@yahoogroups.com, jena-devel@sourceforge.net).

I'm part of a project called SWAD-Europe
(http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/), and we have been doing some surveys
and reports on various aspects of RDF storage and query - you can find
them here:

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/reports/intro.html

Hope that helps

Libby