Re: data expression of date information

At 09:16 PM 2002-12-18, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:

>8. date.  TO DO.
>I have an action item from last week to do some research.

As it happens, John Cowan and I were reminiscing about this as our cocktail
party conversation at XML2002.

1. Standard practice that EARL should adhere to:

- Base semantics on the ISO standard.

- Define 'date' as a subset of dateTime, which you define first.

2. Precedents you should check before deciding on subsets and encoding:

XML Schema (types)

IETF Calendaring and Scheduling - RFC3339

3. Personal recommendation:  In your 'date' subset do not allow, or at least
discourage, the omission of a localOffset indication.  Actually, for
logging purposes of observations related to the Internet, a full dateTime
should be preferred anyway.

4. Warning: omitting localOffset is legitimate in planDateTime if a location
is given in geographic terms.  This is the "when it's noon in Boston" usage
as opposed to "17:00 UTC" or "12:00 -05" usage.  But I don't think that this
needs to be anything more than a remark in defining how to express past events
in EARL.

Al