Re: Brighton F2f

At 12:08 PM 9/19/01 -0400, Al Gilman wrote:
>* What part of the meeting would you be hoping to participate in?

All of it.

>* What squeaks:  If past attempts were not so hot, summarize defects.

Apparently scribing and communicating with remote participants via IRC is
very near impossible. Wendy does well but it probably restricts her
participation in the f2f, Charles just ignores the IRC because he knows it
messes with his participation. If the phone worked like it does in
telecons, there'd be minimal need for the IRC - good for hand-raising and
real-time musings, but need someone to inject them if appropriate.

>* What works:  What seemed to work the best and how well did it work?

When the phone was working (rarely could hear enough or be heard at all) it
was excellent. With just IRC it depended entirely on the competence
(probably too much to ask for) of the scribe.

>* Blue sky:  In the best of all possible worlds, how would it work [limit,
>ten pages]

It would be a teleconference with in -person (and simulated via IRC) winks,
nods, interruptions. The peripherals of break-time conversations would be a
nice addition but not really all that important to the work. Daniel once
expressed a "fear" that if it were done well nobody would fly. DUH! That's
the idea. I don't subscribe to the notion that Charles' effectiveness would
suffer if he could do meetings without setting a record for frequent flyer
mileage in one year.

>* Baby steps:  Well, if we at least did this it would be better

Headsets for f2f folks and some previous century interconnections so the
chair can control who may talk at least as well as is done on a telecon.

>* What to do:  Your best guess of the least risk/pain way to enable real
>participation from remote.  For you.

I now have flat-rate long-distance so staying connected all day won't bust
the Institute. There won't be the boredom of a GL meet so the remaining
"fatal flaw" is the frustration of not properly hearing what's up. Seeing
is less important, particularly in our stuff. And if it's over nine people,
count me out.

--
Love.
EACH UN-INDEXED/ANNOTATED WEB POSTING WE MAKE IS TESTAMENT TO OUR HYPOCRISY