Re: Where does the EARL go?

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:

> [chop - just a couple of points I feel compelled to respond to
   immediately]

> They are good questions.  My personal answers are:
>
> 1. I would like to, but this only seems possible if all WYSIWYG authoring
> tools are able to generate the EARL conformance claim for the author.  This
> might take the form of a really compelling plug-in that we develop and
> hand-off to authoring tool developers (or develop in conjunction
> w/authoring tool devs).

On that subject, have I mentioned the IE plugin at
<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/ie/>
in this forum?  This is the first clientside tool to work with the
XML I'm now offering.  I'd be interested in applying this kind of
thing to authoring tools.

> 2. I think the link element seems to be the best way to go.
> type='text/x-earl', as you suggested Nick, works for me.  Do we need to
> formalize this in some way?

By convention, the "x-" means something we have defined by private
arrangement between cooperating systems that recognise it.  To give
it official status, we would need to remove the x-, and register
"text/earl" with IANA.

--
Nick Kew

Site Valet - the essential service for anyone with a website.
<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>