Re: My first EARL client..

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Jim Ley wrote:

> "Nick Kew":
> >   (1) It no longer needs well-formed XML
> >   (2) It combines WCAG reporting with validation
>
> Ah, this validation complains (well just the odd 1464 errors) about
> http://www.showcaster.com/ aswell, whereas
> http://valet.webthing.com/page/val.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.showcaster.co
> m&demoronise=on  says it's fine.

That sort of thing is why I hadn't intended to go public yet :-)

But I just took a look: it's complaining about your SYSTEM DTD,
not about the document itself.  I'm not sure what I'll have to
do to fix that - watch this space.

> Also it points out a WCAG 6.4 error saying if you specify an onclick you
> should also specify an onkeypress, this is bogus (of course it's not your
> fault, it's the lack of scripting appreciation over in wai-gl.) onclick
> should only be duplicated by onkeypress if the behaviour on a click wants
> to be duplicated when you press a key... needs to be a warning.

The messages are defined in the Schematron's WCAG demo wai.xml.
I haven't touched them, beyond changing the output format.
Once the software is in place I'll think about whether the
messages can be improved (in fact I *know* they can: none of
them tell you a priority level yet, nor do they indicate
whether they are a definite error or merely something to check).

> >   (3) Sean has sent me an outline that should help with constructing
> >       the EARL.  But I probably won't deal with that quite yet, as
> >       I have a bout of the lurgy :-(
>
> I can process that into failure against checkpoints, I don't need EARL,
> and add some into my database then look to provide an interface for
> deciding what you want reporting on.

Right.  Don't put too much effort in yet - the format isn't exactly
stable.  By all means tinker with it, though ...

--
Nick Kew

Site Valet - the essential service for anyone with a website.
<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>