Re: request for intergroup coordination

Ian,
A requirement in the UA guidelines (if any) would be a special case
checkpoints of checkpoint 7.6.  Two potential checkpoints would deal with
directly moving to the list of navigation links and/or skipping them.  For
example:

"Provide one step access to the collection of links that have been
identified by the author for navigation [Priority 3]"

"Provide a one step to skip a collection of navigational links that have
been identified by the author [Priority 3]"

The reference to MAP would be in the techniques document as the best way to
indicate a collection of navigational links in HTML.  The UAAG techniques
document could just reference the WCAG techniques on this issue.  Other
markup languages would have other techniques.

Jon

At 03:47 PM 7/19/2000 -0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>Jon Gunderson wrote:
> >
> > Response in JRG:

> > >The WCA and UA working groups met in joint session earlier and decided
> "use
> > >the MAP element, and not a reserved CLASS value, to group the 'groups of
> > >related links' discussed in WCAG Checkpoint 13.6.
> > >
> > >There appears to be some divergence of opinion as to whether that meeting
> > >identified special UA processing for these MAP elements as opposed to
> other
> > >major structural elements or not.  WCA and UA could clarify on this point.
> >
> > JRG: The UA group has not been as a group particularly interested in having
> > a separate checkpoint(s) for access to markup that is used to indicate
> > navigational links.  But that was before we have been working on the
> > minimal requirements for each checkpoint.  It maybe of some interest in UA
> > to discuss this again.  But I hesitate do to the current number of open
> > issues the group is trying to resolve.
>
>I don't think we should have an explicit requirement for handling MAP.
>I think that the HTML spec should include suggested user agent
>capabilities
>to handle this, rather than putting these requirements in the UA
>Guidelines.
>
>  - Ian
>
>--
>Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
>Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
>Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
MC-574
College of Applied Life Studies
1207 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL  61820

Voice: (217) 244-5870
Fax: (217) 333-0248

E-mail: jongund@uiuc.edu

WWW: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund