Re:: 6.2.A Check the source of FRAME and IFRAME elements for valid markup files.

At 06:02 PM 1/30/00 -0500, Leonard R. Kasday wrote:
>Re
>>Check the source of FRAME and IFRAME elements
>>for valid markup files.
>>Discussion Status:
>>awaiting discussion
>>Evaluation:
>>FRAME or IFRAME "src" attribute is not a valid markup file.  In other words
>>it must be an HTML, XHTML, SMIL, MathML, or other valid markup.
>>Valid "src" attribute values must have a suffix of ".htm," ".html,"
>>".shtm," ".shtml," ".cfm," ".cfml," ".asp," ".cgi," ".pl" (
>
>Guideline Checkpoint 6.2 says
>Ensure that equivalents for dynamic content are updated when the dynamic
>content changes.
>The Guideline technique doc then says
>Refer to 4.10.4 Always make the source of a frame an HTML document .
>
>First of all, I've got a wcag question.
>Although I agree with 4.10.4, requiring HTML, what does it have to do with
>checkpoint 6.2, updating dynamic content?

It should say something more general than HTML.  The idea is that the
resource should be something that is capable of bundling all the
equivalents in one URI recovery.

The reason why this is referred to under "change the equivalents when
changing the dynamic content" is that by bundling ALT and IMG in a
hypertext document that loads the frame, it is easy to update the
non-textual content and textual alternatives in one coordinated step.  If
the frame were loaded with a .GIF file, it is hard to back-annotate the
frameset page with corresponding voice-over text unless you do it with a
script.

>Also, looking at 4.10.4, it's not enough to have a cgi, pl, etc suffix
>because cgi scripts can produce anything, including images, which are
>(properly) forbidden by 4.10.4.

Yes.  The current discussion is limited to what you an check in the text of
the current hypertext document.  That is all A-Prompt is going to do for
now, I suspect.  For a more rigorous check, e.g. by webmaster before
installation or by portal on receipt of update notification, one should
walk through the referenced material, recover it, and verify that indeed it
too is WCAG compliant including covering all requirements for equivalents.

Al