RE: technique 3.2.A

I agree that we should still evaluate a document even if it doesn't have a
DTD reference as the first line.  After all, the requirement for a DTD is
priority 2 (cf. WCAG checkpoint 3.2), and we don't want to refuse to
evaluate a document for Priority 1 if it lacks a priority 2.

Len

At 06:33 PM 1/26/00 -0500, Michael Cooper wrote:
>Yup - but I didn't mean to refuse to evaluate the document if there isn't a
>text identifier in the first line of the doc - we'd skip a lot! I meant if
>we determine the doc is not HTML, or fail to determine that it is HTML, on
>the basis of either the text identifier or the presence of an <HTML> as the
>first and only outermost markup tag (excluding comments, processing
>instructions, etc.), then we might not want to try to evaluate it. Not to
>mention flag an error under this checkpoint. Michael

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Department of Electrical Engineering
Temple University
423 Ritter Annex, Philadelphia, PA 19122

kasday@acm.org
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday

(215) 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)