RE: Technique 6.3.A [priority 1] Verify that the page is usable when programatic objects are disabled.

Yuck. You're right, I didn't realize, though I should have, that the OBJECT
TYPE attribute is a MIME type, and Java doesn't seem to be registered. I
think this is something we should pose to the HTML standards group. If they
intended for OBJECT to replace APPLET they either knew something that's not
obvious to us, or expected that the file extension would tell the browser
what type of object it was (though I can't believe that one), or that
somebody would register Java and the other commonly embedded formats as MIME
types which hasn't been done yet.

Michael