Re: Check table for valid SUMMARY

Wendy,

There's another issue that occurred to me.  What if there's a description
of the table in the body of the text?  This might be in there for good
writing style.  For example, someone might write

<P>
The following table shows the vitamin content of the five most popular
vegetable:

<TABLE>
<TR>
<TH> A </TH>
<TH> B6 </TH>
etcetera.

A person using a screen reader will hear the description in the text and
them immediately hear the table headings giving the vitamins that are
listed.   So they get an immediate idea of what's in the table.

So I don't see any need in this example for CAPTION, TITLE, or
SUMMARY.  For the user it's just extra clutter.  And for the author it's
extra work to no end.

Of course, there are other instances where you would want CAPTION AND/OR
SUMMARY, as discussed in your note to gl.
----------------
BTW, procedure wise, shall we continue to feed comments such as these to
you to have a single point of contact to gl?

At 04:31 PM 1/25/00 -0500, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:
>Yes, this is a WCAG issue. I brought it up on the WCAG WG list this
>week.  refer to
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2000JanMar/0129.html
>
>--wendy
>
>Len wrote:
>   ==================
>|  Technique 5.5.A [priority 3] Check table for valid SUMMARY
>|
>|  Discussion Status:
>|
>|     * discussion complete
>LRK:: I don't understand this guideline.  Isn't a caption enough and Table
>headers enough, at least if it's a simple table?  A summary would merely
>recite what's in the caption and headers anyway.   This is a WCAG issue.
>

>--
>wendy a chisholm
>world wide web consortium
>web accessibility initiative
>madison, wi usa
>tel: +1 608 663 6346
>/--

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Department of Electrical Engineering
Temple University
423 Ritter Annex, Philadelphia, PA 19122

kasday@acm.org
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday

(215) 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)