Re: Technique 4.1.A (Changes In Language)

At 10:27 AM 10/29/99 -0400, Chris Ridpath wrote:
>I was hoping that we could take a look at this (seemingly) simple technique
>next.
>http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/#Technique4.1.A
>
>The WAI checkpoint states:
>"Clearly identify changes in the natural language of a document's text and
>any text equivalents (e.g., captions)"
>
>Is it practically possible to detect when the author has used words that are
>not in the document's primary language?
>
>If we can't detect this then should every document (that has a BODY and any
>text) trigger a warning about this?

The method that I have been contemplating is dictionary-based.  It actually
parses the content into word-candidates and attempts to validate the
presence of these words in a dictionary.  This is similar to spell-checking
and current commodity spell-checkers create the exception events when words
don't check out.

Al

PS:  The actual scenario this comes from has to do with preparing TTS-ready
texts and it covers markup of smileys, acronyms, and all things that match
the lexing rules that natural language words match but fail to have stable,
widely-known pronunciations.  Language changes would get caught in such a net.