Re: Partially sighted Web user

At 09:41 AM 10/4/99 -0400, Chris Ridpath wrote:
>Prompting the page author to reduce horizontal scrolling is a good idea but
>it doesn't seem to be covered specifically in the WAI WCAG. Should we bump
>this back to that group for comment? Should the ERT include techniques that
>are not specified by the WCAG?

The guideline to use markup which imparts logical structure rather than
physical parameters of presentation is already in the WCAG and can be used
as the basis for most ERT-feasible screening methods to catch gratuitous
fixed sizes in web page layout.

The fact that scrolling is a bummer belongs in the reference note giving
the usability background for the WCAG and related policies pushed by the
WAI. That note is not chartered to paper over what we knew when the WCAG
was released but rather to track the current state of human performance
knowledge as it impinges on access to the information in web content.

>My feeling is that the current ERT should cover the current WCAG only.

This is a tension we need to think about a little more.  I don't want to
assume you can invest the effort to edit a more broadly scoped document.
On the other hand,  from a WAI-PF perspective and an EO perspective there
is motivation for wanting the ER-IG to produce something that is broader.

In other words, anywhere software algorithms applied to web content will
detect opportunities to improve usability by people with disabilities is of
interest.  We can sell more usability increasing tools than we can sell
inaccessibility reducing tools.

Why don't you and Len think about how to handle this.  Maybe Len can keep
an issues list which will keep placeholders for techniques that we don't
develop right now in the ERT volume.  If so I would suggest the ERT volume
have a Scope section including a link to the issues list for a treatment
which is broader but less deep.

We already have the scope issue about color in styles.  The A-Prompt is not
going to inspect styles at this point but checking for color in the styles
is clearly part of an appropriate technique to evaluate web content to see
if the guideline which says "never use only color..."

One of the missions of the ER-IG is in fact to turn up shortcomings in the
WCAG for the next release.  So if we have a concept for an evaluation and
repair technique which is implementable and works and is not traceable to
the WCAG, we need to look on the other side at why it isn't in there.

Sometimes it is an underlying format and protocol issue, and the action
should flow to PF to get the prerequisites into the generic Web technology.
 I ust copied here a quote from a post to xml-plenary in which I plead for
multi-level partial understanding (incremental discovery of semantics) as
an underlying principle of the architecture of the future Web.  This is
particularly with application to a stylesheet transformer, which would work
better than the present CSS cascading algorithm to adapt styling.

Al