Re: css abuse

At 09:17 PM 10/3/99 -0400, Leonard R. Kasday wrote:

>>And yes, a UAGL-conforming user agent not only has access to these
>>attribute values, but makes them available to the user and to add-on
>>assistive technologies.
>
>I think we'll have to coordinate with the Guideline and Authoring groups to
>make that point explicit.
>
>I can't find any explicit mention of CLASS name being readable in the user
>agent guidelines or the web content guidelines.

Talk to Jon or Ian about where the drafts and issues are.  They are
wrestling with how to make the guideline transcend HTML and yet make the
checkpoints clear.

>In fact, in technique 4.4.1, just after
>
>http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WAI-WEBCONTENT-TECHS-19990505/#lists
>
>it says
>
>"To further ensure that users understand differences between list items
>indicated visually, content developers should provide a text label before
>or after the list item phrase:"
>
>implying that the CLASS name isn't accessible for that purpose.

Actually, that language includes placing the text label in such a display
by using a style rule to expose the CLASS key.  It describes how the
document should display, not how it should be coded.

The attribute access in the UA guidelines is a) a drill-down capability,
not the default presentation without special processing, and b) not widely
disseminated in the field.

It is reasonable for the content guidelines to go beyond this for something
that will show up in the default rendering of existing browsers.

Sometimes we need to pursue both strategy A and strategy B.  The fact that
strategy B is pursued does not mean strategy A is not being pursued as well.

Al