Re: Guidelines Implementation

At 01:41 PM 5/20/99 -0400, Bruce Bailey wrote:
>To your Check Point 1.1A:
>Valid ALT text:
>Allowed - ALT attribute value of ""
>Only IF (NOT inside of A HREF) OR link is also referenced via text.  This
>can be tested by algorithm, so it is either allowed or not allowed.  (Human
>intervention/consideration is NOT needed.)

I believe that human consideration is always advisable for ALT="".  You can
test for situations where it is definitely bad, but you can't test
automatically for where it is good.

>Suggested for discussion:
>ALT="" is NOT allowed.  (This rule is much simpler!)  ALT=" " is
>permissible as an alternative.
>ALT=" " is treated as "suspicious" and generates a warning to the effect
>of: "Is this graphic purely decoration and devoid of content?"

It seems to be the small differences that generate the most heat.  This is
one of those.  After much digging I found what I believe to be the clearest
statement of the conclusion that was reached on this topic in the GL group:

<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wai-gl-techniques-19980918.html#spacer-images>

That is to say, ALT="" has not been disallowed because there are cases
where it is the best practice.  Admittedly some of the argument hangs on
the fact that we can't rely on stylesheets to make layout tables obsolete
until they are better supported in user agents.  But all that reasoning
still stands.

The problem is, nowhere in the RECcommendation that Tim signed is this
explicitly stated.  It takes a) searching the working group archives and b)
authentication by the chairs that this decision was made and then not
reconsidered and overturned by a later deliberation of the group, to bring
the consensus resolution to light.

This is why I was emphasizing the need for a strong GL presence in the
process of "life after REC" including this step of detailing the
automatable tests related to the checkpoints and how they are related.

Al