Re: Guideline 1 in The evaluation techniques document

At 05:08 PM 6/23/99 +0200, Daniel Dardailler wrote:

>> The rule that you are trying to enforce is:
>> > Provide text equivalents for all images, including invisible or
>> transparent images.
>
>The rule we should try to enforce is checkpoint 1.1, not something in
>the technique document, which is not a stable reference.

On the one hand, only the guideline has the force of a W3C Recommendation.

On the other hand, the WAI will only undercut its effectiveness if we are
sending different messages by the ER guideline-implementation guidance and
the GL techniques document.  In a sense, the ER guideline-implementation
guidance is another segment of the WCAG techniques: tool techniques,
whereas the WCAT is author techniques.  They should be consistent and any
conflict should be trapped by Len to arrange a dialog to resolve any
misunderstandings or disagreements.

On the whole, where it affects what should be in the resources as served,
the GL group should still be regarded as having senior authority even for
points where the WCAG requires some interpretation to be concrete.

Al