W3C

- Minutes -

Education and Outreach Working Group Teleconference

12 Aug 2016

Summary

Brent began the meeting with an apology from the chairs that we failed to notify EO when the survey was posted. As a result we had very little response and so the questions will be folded into the one this week. Moving on the the Resource Management status updates we learned this:

Next week we will hear updates from Denis on QuickStart Guide; from Shawn and Sharron on Accessibility Intro; from Andrew on Training Resources; and from Brent on WCAG Overview. James gave a brief update on the Web Site redesign including the news that the search for someone to develop style tiles was launched. Brent reminded everyone not to post broadly but to send to Sharron names of anyone you would like to have included in the invitation list. James also referenced how the agile system was working so far using GitHub as a backlog, piling all the tasks in there and using an agile approach to putting tasks into sprints - each month is a sprint. According to the current plan, we should have the style tile process complete at the end of the September sprint. You can review progress on the wiki and feel free to jump in any time. Laura suggested a collegue to help with smart search and will invite him to a TF meeting. Brent wrapped up with a reminder to stay with the Work for the Week and wished all a good weekend.

Attendees

Present
Laura, Susan, EricE, shawn, Brent, Sharron, Andrew, Howard, shadi, Caleb, MaryJo, James
Regrets
Adina, Denis, Howard, Joy, Kazuhito, Shadi, Shawn, Susan, Sylvie
Chair
Brent
Scribe
Sharron

Contents

Brent: We have a few new EO participants and when vacations are wrapped up we will have the standard intro and wanted everyone to be aware that we are actively recruiting participation.

Survey update

Brent: Very light response to the survey this week due to chairs not posting the reminders. Only a couple of questions and so we will fold those questions into this week's survey and be sure to announce it this week.
... will add anything that arises today. Apologies for missing that posting. Since it is closed, we will add to this week's survey. Comment or questions?

Andrew: It said it was closed but allowed me to complete and submit nanyway.

Brent: I saw that behavior on another survey, we will pay attention to that strange behavior. Not sure what is happening.

Resource Manager Update

Brent: Reminder to document your work in the RM tool, add the document to the database and keep status updated.
... first we will hear from Mary Jo about the policies

<Brent> Policies Relating to Web Accessibility: https://www.w3.org/WAI/Policy/

MaryJo: A bit of a slow start, not yet updated the tool. I have been creating the project plan, reviewing existing resources and expect to bring to the planning meeting on Thursday.
... Reveiwing current info and previous comments, getting ideas about how to do layout and presentaiton. Once I finsh the data review I will pull the others in and get started on creating content.

Brent: Good start, any questions for MaryJo?
... there is a group of 5 people lined up to help, if anyone else is interested, contact MaryJo directly.

Brent: Next up we will hear from Eric on the Accessible UI Components List

<Brent> Accessible UI Components List: https://www.w3.org/blog/wai-components-gallery/

Eric: Ihave been looking at the expectation and management issues we discussed a few weeks ago. Have not made much progress since that discussion. Although the group accepted my plan, I have not yet implemented.

Brent: That extensive plan to address issues has been approved and will be implemented soon.

Eric: Thanks to Andrew for his useful resources, very helpful.

Brent: Thanks Eric, anything else from the group about this? OK then, next is the EasyChecks, we will hear from Caleb.

<Brent> Easy Checks: https://www.w3.org/WAI/eval/preliminary

Caleb: Sent my report, there are 8 issues still to be addressed. I will do that soon and expect to make good progress now that I am back from vacation. I will need your help Eric to publish for review.

Brent: We are on a two week cycle, Caleb so let me know if you want to report again in two weeks or if that should be adjusted.
... also for you and all RMs we would like your help in crafting questions for the survey.

Caleb: If you all can help me narrow the questions to be focused and not overwhelm people with the many questions that could be generated.

Brent: Update on tutorials, also from Eric

<yatil> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-eo/2016JulSep/0002.html

<Brent> Web Accessibility Tutorials: https://www.w3.org/WAI/tutorials/

Eric: None of the volunteers that wanted to help with tutorials is here today. Sent out an email in July. Main task at the moment is to review the pull requests. We have not actually made much progress on our next step to do that review. My strategy now will be to assign pull requests to specific people for their review.
... content is from what I published about a year ago, would like new eyes on it. The reviewers will make decisions about whether to stick with what we have or make changes.

Andrew: I may know a couple of people willing to help, I will check and let you know.

Eric: Great, much appreciated, I look forward to hearing about it. Mostly grammar, cleaning up wording, etc

Brent: The ones still in draft are published with the note. A big concern is the fact that half are still in draft. Would like to prioritize completing the polish and get those published.
... Next week we hear from Denis, I know he has been working. Also the WCAG Overview, I will work on that with Shawn
... Andrew will also report on the Training Resouces and from Sharron and Shawn on the intro docs.

WAI site redesign update

Brent: I know there is a lot going on and we can hear from James and Eric about where things are now.'

Eric: Thanks to all volunteers in the WAI site TF, and to James and AB for their leadership. This week there was no meeting and the thing we are currently doing is to request submissions of style tiles to get impression of different ideas and approaches to the visual design.

<Brent> Understanding What Style Tiles are: http://styletil.es/

Eric: Sharron is the neutral agent asking for submission, making a level playing field for anyone who may want to contribute.

<yatil> https://github.com/w3c/wai-website-design/milestones

Sharron: Please send me names of people you know who may be interested and I will send them an invitation.

<Brent> When the designers are ready to submit their Style Tile, they need to submit them to Sharron only so that we can anonymize them.

Andrew: We have a visual design working group if you can send something to summarize

<yatil> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-eo-site/2016Aug/0022.html -> Invitation for Style Tiles (Do not share broadly.)

Brent: We did not want anyone from EO post the invitation publicly but rather curate the submissions, so please keep that in mind.

James: We are using GitHub as a backlog, piling all the tasks in there and using an agile approach to putting our tasks into sprints - each month is a sprint. You can see how the tasks are being prioritized.

<Andrew> August sprint - https://github.com/w3c/wai-website-design/milestone/1

James: want to be able to decide at the start of each month what tasks can be accomplished in each period, rolling those into a monthly spring. According to the current plan, hope to have the style tile process complete at the end of the September sprint. Analytics is another area of concentration, this month we are looking at what data we actually have and how to use it. For Info Architecture we are making the baseline and next month will determine what we need to do next.
... so if you are not directly involved in the TF but feel like you ahve something to contribute to any of the sprints, please jump in. I expect that we will be closing out the sprint near the end of each month where we will bring progress to the whole EO group and get approval to move on.

Laura: Quick question on smart search? Did we not have resources to commit to it?

James: Great question! During our sprint grooming session, we had no one on the TF who was comfortable leading on that so we took smart search out of the August sprint. So that was de-prioritized with the idea that we would continue to look for a candidate.

Laura: I have a collegue from the Library of Congress who is willing to help.

James: Great news, we will figure out when is a good Wednesday to meet with him and involve him in grooming the September sprint, thank you!

Brent: Great work, TF - I love the model. Agile development seems like a great way to do this.

James: Well, GitHub has been great to organziae this with the milestones tags and all. Hoping for some quick wins to build momentum.

<Andrew> brilliant the way the TF is working

Andrew: Yes, I am impressed with this methodolgy, very good leadership James!

<yatil> +1

Brent: We will add last week's questions and add any other questions. For example, should we ask a question about designers on the survey?

Sharron: Maybe but remember the accelerated timeline.

Brent: OK will put on work for this week.
... any other comments or question before we wrap up?
... let me know about the scheduling for the RM updates and if you need a repository or any other support to get you work done. I appreciate all the work and planning that people are doing, keep moving forward in this way. Thanks, see you all next week.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.144 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/08/12 13:27:33 $