W3C

- DRAFT -

Education and Outreach Working Group Teleconference

10 Jun 2016

Summary

EOWG began the weekly teleconference with a brief walk through the Resource Management Tool, a new sorting and display tool that Eric made to facilitate the work of all who have WAI resources to manage. It is a complete working draft, ready to be used though not yet fully populated with all WAI resources. Eric also posted a follow-up email to the EO List ith further instruction about how to use our new internal resource overview list. Next James presented the completed draft of the ,a href="https://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Resource_Development_Life_Cycle">Resource Development Life Cycle (RDLC) and announced that it is ready for review and approval. He asked everyone to make sure they understand how the pieces fit together and to feel free to add examples and notes as appropriate to the sub-pages. Moving on the the web site redesign effort, James reported that the project plan was in development and would probably be shared in the next couple of weeks. The project leads, James and AnnaBelle are asking EO participants to identify any skills they are willing to contribute with the understanding that it is not a firm commitment but rather an offer to sit on the bench and see how time allows them to contribute when the time comes during the development of the new site. Brent next spoke about the potential f2f at TPAC. Response indicates that there will likely not be a large attendence from EO participants, and so we will probably place the emphasis more on outreach and coordination with other groups rather than conduct a normal working face to face meeting. A primary goal will be to introduce ourselves to other W3C working groups and listen to their needs and how EO's outreach efforts might support any accessibility related projects or initiatives of other groups. Brent closed the meeting with thanks to all and a reminder to keep working through the assigned resources and complete the open surveys.

Agenda

Attendees

Present
Sharron, Eric, Shawn, Susan, James, Caleb, Brent, EricE, Andrew
Regrets
Denis, Howard, Kazuhito, Laura, Shadi
Chair
Brent
Scribe
Sharron

Contents

Resource Management Tool

<shawn> [ Shawn loves the Resource Management tool ! ]

<yatil> https://w3c.github.io/wai-resources/

Brent: We wanted to provide a central repo for people to sort and keep current status as we work through our resources. Eric has created this internal tool, it is not polished and we are open for additional function if needed. This working draft is meant to be used as the first release and you are encouraged to use it.

Eric: Basically this is a big table with all resources, it is sortable and can be filtered. Will be adding the 'sort by RM' function, but not there yet. "Show only" is the filtering mechanism. Not all resources are yet loaded into the table but can sort by draft, effort, urgency, etc

Susan: I agree with Shawn, it's great. I have been asking for it...thank you! How do we create a repository for a resource we are working on?

Eric: A staff contact must create that - please ask one of us. Send us email and we will get it set up for you.

Susan: OK thanks, what if we just want to make notes?

Eric: There is no place for that yet, for longer notes, it will be better to pull those notes into the repository that is created.

Susan: OK thank you.

Sharron: Can we add our own resources if they are not listed yet?

Eric: Not yet but I am adding that and will notify the group when it is available. For a walk through now, scroll down in the table to Tutorials - Images, and click on edit.

<shawn> example file: https://github.com/w3c/wai-resources/edit/gh-pages/_resources/tutorials-images.md

Brent: I get a page that says fork this

Andrew: Yes, I get that as well.

Eric: You need more rights then, you should not be getting that screen

<shawn> https://w3c.github.io/wai-resources/howto.html

Brent: OK I noticed how you changed several of these. But the next stage category, is it automated?

Eric: No, this is all manual, we may add some automation in the future, but as of now all info is manual.

Brent: Shall we expect to always find the fork option? It will now be only in my repository and it will not show until it is pulled into the actual one?

Eric: Yes for now that is the case, I will change rights to make it more frictionless.

Brent: OK thanks Eric. We want everyone to feel confortable and use it, so are there any additional questions?

Eric: And feel free to ping me after you have had a chance to poke around and explore how it works.

Brent: Eric: Thank you, this is exciting, several have been waiting eagerly for this. We may need to pull together another demo for those who are not here today.
... This is usable now, please jump in. Let Eric and chairs now about any additional function you need and provide feedback, thanks again Eric.

Resource Development LifeCycle

<Brent> RDLC Wiki page: https://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/RDLC

Brent: During May f2f we worked on simplifying the life cycle document and this is the result.
... would like people to be aware of the stages of the cycle and the related detail about what is involved in each stage.
... there are examples for each stage to use as a pattern. As people begin doing their work, we expect there to be more examples added as people learn how to best manage these resources and begin to share tips and examples.
... we expect the support to grow organically as people add examples and tips from their experience. James also included the flowchart to help track your recommendation. Think of it as the maintenence cycle and the page is meant to help people, especially those who are new to understand how to do this work.
... we wanted to review and submit for more comment or need for clarification or change. We are feeling like it is complete and ready to wrap up.

<Susan> I agree

<shawn> I need to look at it.

<yatil> I would also like to have another look.

<shawn> Andrew also

Sharron: The minutes will reflect that this is the final call for review and that we are prepared to accept this as the new process and terminology for the Resource Development LifCycle.

WAI Website redesign

Brent: The work has begun based on the plan from the face to face

James: We have met, are moving toward finalizing the project plan using Basecamp. At this point we have a survey question asking the group for specific task help.
... Previously had asked the same question and gotten little response. We tried to ask in another way. the project has unique challenges since it is based on volunteers.
... asking people to let us know if you are interested, what kind of work you can help with, and will build a pool of people that we can pull from at the time.
... we know that since we are basing this on volunteers, we have to be flexible and not locked into a timeline, looking for people to put themselves on a possible list at some future tiem.
... want to finalize the plan that we started at the f2f and will iterate and run by the group again in the next couple of weeks.
... hoping for a few months of analytics to look at as we move to some of the more active stages.

Brent: I am willing to be on the bench and I would like to specify the areas that I am competent and that make the most sense for me to help with.
... are you asking for role specific help?

James: Yes, for now we have high level role identification and as we get to those stages of the project will get more granular as we get closer to the time specific skills are needed.

Brent: Thanks, any questions from others?
... it is a big project, thanks to James and AnnaBelle for taking the lead.

EOWG Face to Face meeting at TPAC

Brent: 19 September in Lisbon Portugal we have the opportunity to meet face to face. It is a place where all of the W3C WGs get together, meet, collaborate. There is an Advisory Board meeting and otehr opportunities for networking and interaction.

<yatil> [TPAC 2016: the Combined Technical Plenary / Advisory Committee Meetings Week brings together W3C Technical Groups, the Advisory Board, the TAG and the Advisory Committee for an exciting week of coordinated work.]

Shawn: There is also a plenary day, usually Wednesday where there is considerable work across groups.

<yatil> [from: http://www.w3.org/2016/09/TPAC/]

Brent: We have a meeting page for this

<yatil> wiki page: https://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/EOWG_F2F_September_2016

Brent: have begun listing goals, inlcuding raising the profile of EO among other groups; coordinating with other WAI groups about their work.
... we tend to focus on WCAG and have identified the opportunity to let other WAI groups know that we can help outreach for them as well.
... also want to make sure other groups know what we do and listen to the needs of other groups.

<Susan> I sadly cannot go

Brent: good opportunity for making connections and rasing the EOWG profile. We can use the help.
... if more people can join, it will be a great opportunity.

Shawn: Because there are so few participants at TPAC this year, we will likely not have the regular working face to face, but place the emphasis more on outreach and coordination with other groups.
... the focus will be not on who we are as much as what we have done, our new resources, the current work.

Brent: Yes like the video showcase

Work for this week

<shawn> thanks for the review and comments!

Brent: Survey will include questions about resource management tool, web site redesign roles, etc

Sharron: How are people feeling about progress on the resources they are managing?

Eric: I am hoping that we can have a boilerplate that people can help us to review and document. No clear timeline for when that is ready. Everyone on this call is on the GitHub group that allows direct editing.

Brent: I have had a very busy few months since the face to face but will be able to look at this more closely after next week.

<shawn> Susan, Shawn, & Judy met about mobile - Information here: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-eo/2016AprJun/0044.html

Brent: and we can keep an open discussion of where people are and how to proceed. I will probably be asking more experienced people for guidance.

Brent: we will wrap up early today, will give you back an hour to work on resources and see you next week.

<Susan> thanks everyone! have a great weekend!

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.144 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/06/10 13:34:55 $