RE: avoid "color contrast"

You can see my question to Aries below his response.

I'm confused a bit now by your question below - WCAG does not use the word Luminosity, only luminance.  But you're saying that WCAG is about luminosity?

AWK

From: Gregg Vanderheiden [mailto:gregg@raisingthefloor.org]
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2014 12:23 PM
To: Andrew Kirkpatrick
Cc: Shawn Henry; Eric Eggert; EO 'w3c-wai-eo@w3.org'; Joshue O Connor
Subject: Re: avoid "color contrast"

Hi Andrew

Did you ask Aries about "Luminosity Contrast"  - or "luminance contrast"?    These are quite different and Aries answer might have confused you if you used the wrong term.

My comments (and WCAG language) is all about "luminosity contrast".        Luminance contrast has to do with lighting - and an author has no way of knowing that.    Luminosity contrast on the other hand has to do with the ratio of the lightness of the colors as defined on the page.

So WCAG does not refer to Luminance Contrast - but it does define contrast ratio as being the ration of the Luminosity  (see glossary).

Color contrast is different - and that is why I said that if we change from luminosity to color contrast we are changing from the definition in WCAG.

Make sense now?

gregg