Re: Font recommendation for Accessible Presentations

Shawn, I think this would work just fine:
>How about adding something like: "Simple fonts with consistent thickness are often easier to read from a distance (as opposed to fonts where parts of the letters are thin, like Times New Roman)." ?
And where you point out:

>Many people do not have access to a projector when they are creating their presentations (myself included, btw). (Also, we would need to clearly explain this test, e.g., how do you "take the image slowly out of focus".)
How about:

"If you have access to a projector, here is one way to find a suitable font:
1. Prepare a slide with a phrase repeated in each font you are considering.
2. Project that slide on a screen.
3. Slowly adjust the projector to bring the image out of focus.
4. As the image gets farther out of focus, note which font remains legible the longest. This font will generally be the best to use for your slides."

I'm not insisting that we add such wording, but it occurs to me that to do so would be much like the approach taken with color contrast in WCAG 2.0. And if we refer to adjusting the projector, then "How do I change the focus?" is best answered by the guide for using that projector, not by us.

~Cliff

Shawn Henry wrote:
>Thanks for the additional input, Cliff.

>> Shawn, I am not opposed to providing research where it exists, but it seems to me that we might not need it in this case.

>[Shawn considers and nods head probably in agreement.]

>> We also have a fairly simple test everyone can run on any fonts they are thinking of using for their slide presentations: Project an image of the same line of text in each font on a screen, take the image slowly out of focus, and determine which font produces the image that remains intact the longest. If we explain it that way, we might not even need to mention stroke width.

>Except that many people do not have access to a projector when they are creating their presentations (myself included, btw). (Also, we would need to clearly explain this test, e.g., how do you "take the image slowly out of focus".)

>How about adding something like: "Simple fonts with consistent thickness are often easier to read from a distance (as opposed to fonts where parts of the letters are thin, like Times New Roman)." ?

~Shawn