Re: AW: Updated: How People with Disabilities Use the Web

Hi,

Brigitte Bornemann-Jeske wrote:
> My first posting - hallo to all!
>
> I have a question regarding "Scenario 2: Reporter with repetitive
> stress injury". How can "Text alternatives for images and other non-text
> content" help him out? There must be a link between motor disabilities and
> alternative text that I missed up to now. Should be glad to learn more.
>
> Best regards

To my understanding, speech recognition software use alt-attributes on
form controls, buttons (including images of text in links), and other
non-text objects. For instance, you could activate the search function
by saying "search" rather than navigating to that control and selecting
it manually. It is an effective way of using the control names.

Having said that, this is not reflected in the Understanding WCAG 2.0
document and may need some more explanation. I'll take a note to better
describe this in the section on speech recognition:
  - <http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/PWD-Use-Web/2009/browsing#speechrecog>

Thank you for raising this issue.

Best,
   Shadi