Re: Completed draft Accessibility page for new W3C website

Hi Shawn,

Shawn Henry wrote:

> Catherine,
>
> WAI still has no intention of changing our focus. While we have had
> interesting discussions in EOWG, there have not been any such
> considerations at the WAI level.
>
> The minutes say:"
> Shawn: Yes, I agree this is at the heart of much of the recent
> discussions. I want to refer to one email in the thread, when we were
> exploring universality previously, there was strong push back.
> ... there was concern that the specific needs people with disabilities
> will get lost if the focus is made more broad.
> ... Clearly we are not going to change WAIs mission today, but this is
> good dialogue about thinking about the issue.
> "
>
> Indeed my point was to acknowledge the perspective of one individual,
> and make it clear that that person's perspective is not universally
> shared. (pun intended) What was minuted as "Clearly we are not going to
> change WAIs mission today" was a nice way of saying: Discussing this
> more is it not a good use of our time now; we've already decided we're
> not going to do it. Let's move on to the document".
>
> See forwarded e-mail below.
>
> Regards,
> ~Shawn

Thank you for the clarification. As I do not participate in E&O
teleconferences, it is hard to judge how far these discussions go and
what the outcomes could be. This list is, I believe, an appropriate
forum to voice my opinions and concerns.

Best regards,

Catherine

--
Catherine Roy