Re: w3.beta Comments for discussion

Hi Shawn,

Shawn Henry wrote:
> Thanks, Catherine!
>
> I've implemented some of your suggestions (in version to be posted later
> tonight), and will bring others up for discussion at the EOWG
> teleconference.
>
> About the extra paragraph on getting transcripts: Transcripts for audio
> is a fundamental issue, as you know. I find that almost everyone thinks
> it's hard and expensive. I wanted to use transcripts as an example, so
> we're covering disabilities other than visual. But I don't want to scare
> people with the transcript example. So I thought the extra paragraph
> served to show that many things you (not you, but others) might think
> are hard and expensive for accessibility, in fact are not.
>
> We'll see what EOWG has to say about this...

I understand. I acknowledge the need to convey, euh, reassurance. But I
still worry about balance (in terms of treatment of various examples).
How about we try to be more brief, merge the information ? Something like :

"Just as images aren't available to people who can't see, audio files
aren't available to people who can't hear. Providing a text transcript
makes the audio information accessible to people who are deaf or hard of
hearing, as well as to search engines and other technologies that can't
hear. Services are available to produce text transcripts in HTML format.
They are relatively inexpensive and easy to use."

I am sure the above variation could be improved but I imagine you get
the idea. And, I do not know if this is possible but it might be nice if
we could link to inexpensive and easy to use services alluded to. Does
WAI maintain a list of resources in this regard that we could link to
(much like the EARL tools repository[1]) ?

Best regards,

Catherine
--

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/tools/