Re: Accessibility page for beta.w3.org - questions for EOWG

Hi,

Shawn Henry wrote:
> Thanks for the comments and for feeding the discussion, Shadi. Replies
> below, including *questions for EOWG*.
>
> Shadi Abou-Zahra wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This update is much better in my opinion. Some questions:
>
> Good. It's still an early draft and needs lots of work. More opinions,
> comments, and questions encouraged from all.
>
>> # "Accessibility is about not disabling people" - interesting word
>> play though a little unexpected. In formal settings I often hear the
>> term "excluding" rather than "disabling". Will this term work in a
>> general setting? Will people understand the idea behind it?
>
> I was going for unexpected in this draft, for discussion. <grin> These
> are good questions.
>
> EOWG folks, what do you think? The full sentence is: "Accessibility is
> about not disabling people from using your website because they can't
> hear, move, see, or understand well."
>
> fyi, Liam's draft said: "Inaccessible web pages are badly written. They
> disable people. "

Caution: there is more to an accessible Web than the pages and sites.

>> # Examples - the alt-text example is quite lengthy and explains some
>> of the auxiliary benefits but the others don't. Is that a bug or feature?
>
> The transcript one does: "as well as to search engines and other
> technologies that can't hear.".

True. But that's very minimal in comparison. The question is if we want
to point out these benefits more consistently and deliberately.

>> I'd personally prefer few sentences *with links to related documents*
>> about these carry-over benefits (such as to mobile resources etc).
>
> I agree in principle. However, we don't have a short explanation of the
> other benefits of alt text or other short bits to link to. All we have
> is the mobile overlap document, but that's focused differently and only
> on one point.
>
> Are you proposing that we create a new document(s)? (We do have on the
> future deliverables list the possibility of a slideset for the business
> case. Perhaps one of the slides would have this info... but it won't be
> available for some time.)
>
> Shadi & EOWG: Ideas on how to address this in the short-term?

Not sure. Maybe link to the respective areas in the Business Case?

>> # Keyboard Image - how about an image of a public information kiosk? I
>> know that accessibility is not about getting a kiosk to work but the
>> device independence aspect could be clarified that way (and further
>> underline the carry-over benefits of accessibility).
>
> hum - Nice example of ubiquitous web; however, I think many would miss
> it, not knowing the web is used on kiosks. EOWG folks: What is your
> perspective on this point?

Good point. On the other hand, kiosks are often used to access Webmail
and other online resources. At least from what I've seen.

Best,
   Shadi