Re: EOWG, For Review: Overview of "How People with Disabilities Use the Web"

For the draft's tenth anniversary.... <smile>. This overview [3] is an
excellent way to give people a permanent page to link to. People often
need to refer to the main document even though it is a draft. I have
tried to answer the questions in the agenda but lots of other ideas come
to mind as well.

Perhaps in "the sections described below" it might be useful to list
what the sections are or describe them in one sentence.

I don't think that the detail in the alternate version [1] is necessary
as people likely know what the disabilities are and can quite easily
access the main document to read the list. Perhaps the aging-related
conditions is useful as people may not expect it.

It might be a good idea to explain just how difficult it is to produce a
document that is both useful and with enough detail but of manageable
length, indicating subtly that it is for that reason that it has been a
draft for so long.

In the list of scenarios, perhaps the job titles of the people are a
distraction. It would be clearer just to say deaf, blind, dyslexic, etc.
  On the other hand perhaps it is politically better not to define
people in terms of their disability.

In the section "Different Disabilities" perhaps add that for each
disability there are links to relate it to the scenarios in the
preceding section so they can be seen in the context of people's lives.

Under "Assistive Technologies and Adaptive Strategies" perhaps say that
they are cross-referenced to show how they relate to disabilities and
the contexts of peoples lives and work.

When mentioning the document put quote marks around the title (as in the
subject line of this email) like "'How People with Disabilities Use the
Web' is copyright© W3C and..." and in the section heading.

In the "referencing" section, perhaps talk about the "Main" document and
"this Overview" to make it clear which is which.

Perhaps people should continue to reference the overview even after the
draft is approved.

The text "as you include the reference information..." is not really
necessary at present.

Maybe include a link to "Referencing and Linking to WAI Guidelines and
Technical Documents" [2] here.

It is necessary to include a disclaimer about WCAG  not being the most
recent version. I don't think that the assistive technology is out of
date. I wonder what advances there have been since the last draft. The
next draft should be updated to include Ajax and WAI-ARIA, and the rise
of social networking sites, mobile access, etc. Also online guides to
physical (wheelchair) access and other accessibility features of places
(like restaurants, cinemas, beaches, public transport) have become more
common.

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/PWD-Use-Web/people-use-web-2009-03-30
[2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/linking
[3] http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/people-use-web

--
Alan Chuter
Departamento de Usabilidad y Accesibilidad