wcag 2.0 checklist - Re: EOWG: WCAG 2.0 Review and Agenda for 12 May 2006 Teleconference

Hi All,

I see the purpose of the checklist as being a quick easy way to
simplify the document into something that you can just skim to make
sure your web site is all there. From the checklist itself, I should
be able to, for the most part, make sense of what I needed to
accomplish.

For me,  the WCAG 1.0 checklist was really cool and really helpful.
It simplifies the document very well.  I could look at the web site
and look at the checklist and make sure that I had all of the parts
that I needed (ie. images, forms, tables.)

I understand the necessity of having WCAG 2.0 being not technology
specific but this makes just reading a list of the success criteria
by themselves a whole lot less useful, at least for me as a
developer.  It is less of practical items that I need to accomplish.

"2.4.4 Each link is programmatically associated with text from which
its purpose can be determined"

That doesn't mean a whole lot to the me when making a web site, at
least without having to sit and think about it.  Now when I have read
the list of techniques and the "how to" part, I have a more practical
idea of what needs to be accomplished.

I guess what I am saying is that I think the WCAG 2.0 checklist
misses the point of being a checklist.

WCAG 2.0 is really awesome but part of my concern is that it is
really huge.  As a developer, I could go through WCAG 1.0 and find
the relevant information that I needed to make sure I had what I
needed in my website.  It is all there in WCAG 2.0 in amazingly rich
detail.  That amazingly rich detail is just so much information to
parse.

This is just a total brain storm and granted its probably out of the
scope for anything right now...it'd be cool to have a form where I
could describe my web site and it would spit back all the parts of
WCAG 2.0 that were applicable to my web site.  This would give me
more of that practical checklist that I could drill down through to
make sure that i got everything.

Another brainstorm and probably out of the scope of anything...I wish
WCAG 2.0 was published in a book.  For me, I have no problem making
sense of an article on the web but its different when its a large
volume.  I know I have access to printers and binders but printing
all of that out (WCAG 2.0, Understanding, Techniques) is just a lot.
For me the printed page, when trying to go through that much
information, is just easier to process.  I'd pay $20 bucks to buy a
bound copy of WCAG 2.0.

Sincerely,
Justin