Re: WAI search for review this week

Hello Shawn and all,
A 04:25 08/06/2005, Shawn Henry a écrit :

>EOWG,
>
>As part of the WAI site redesign, we plan to provide WAI-specific search.
>
>Please review the following documentation on the proposed WAI-specific search:
>1. [DRAFT] WAI Search Specifications: http://www.w3.org/WAI/redesign/search/specs.html

SD: No remarks on this page.

>2. [DRAFT] Help with WAI Search: http://www.w3.org/WAI/search-help

SD: The help page does not mention how to perform an advanced search. It does not explain how to combine criteria.
- In the section "WAI Guidelines & Documents" and in the section "WAI Mailing Lists"  the documents are not listed in a specific order, or is there any order?

- The links to the mailing lists are not clear to someone who is new to WAI: what does "public-wai-eo-lexicon" mean for someone who does not know the list?

- In the section "wai guidelines and documents", sometimes the term Web Content Accessibility Guidelines is mentioned sometimes WCAG. Is this clear enough for all?

>3. [DRAFT] WAI Search Results page mockup: http://www.w3.org/WAI/redesign/search/mockup-google

SD: heading two says that the page displays 20 results from about 158, but I can only see 10 results.

- What does "Results Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next" mean? Is it planned to have links there? What will these links show? What does "next page" mean, the next 10 results or the next 20 results?

- For the presentation of the results, would it be clearer to display them in ordered lists ol and li, with one number for each result?

>Focus your review and comments on:
>1. General questions:
>a. Do the options cover the user requirements?

SD: Do I have the same result if I click on the link "search all W3C mailing lists" or if I check the checkbox "search all W3C mailign lists"?
This should be explained in the help page.

>b. What are the pros, cons, and priority of providing Advanced Search?

SD: Advanced search may help have a limited number of results. I can't find cons now!

>2. Terminology: any issues with the wording below, or reasons to use different wording ?
>a. labels in results page * for search options:
>- WAI Guidelines & Documents
>- WAI Mailing Lists

SD: No remarks!

>* for links:
>- Search All W3C Web Pages
>- Search All W3C Mailing Lists
>- Help with WAI Search

SD: no remarks.

>b. button & field labels in nav on all pages & in results page * button label: Go, Search, Search WAI, ...?

Sd: Search all WAI site?

>* field label: Search:, Search for:, ...?
>* note: W3C home page uses label: "Search W3C", button: "Go", and link "Search W3C Mailing Lists"

SD: I find "go" not precise enough. Start search would be more appropriate.

Regards

Sylvie