RE: [components] updated, please comment Tuesday 28 Sept 2004

From: Andrew Arch <andrew.arch@nils.org.au>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:28:43 +1000
To: "'Shawn Lawton Henry'" <shawn@w3.org>, "'EOWG \(E-mail\)'" <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>

Hi Shawn,

Have to have my say about logos, alt text and links!

In the example you use (drawn from the top of the page), the graphic is both
branding [Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) logo] and a link to the WAI
home page. Currently the example only indicates one purpose - branding. Is
branding the primary purpose? Probably. Then, the alt text is OK, but would
be better as "Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) logo - WAI home page".
[Alternatively, a link title could be added.] If the primary purpose is the
link to WAI - then the alt text would be better as just "WAI home page".

Andrew