Re: Updated "How People with Disabilities Use the Web" for review in 12 March 2004 Teleconference

At 01:32 PM 3/12/2004 +0100, Henk Snetselaar wrote:

>Hi EOWG colleagues,
>
>Here are some suggestions for the PWD document:
>
>1.)
>The 'heading' above the overview of described scenarios (chapter 2) is
>now:
>
>The following scenarios illustrate the accessibility solutions listed in
>parentheses (...) below:
>
>Would it not be better to have the following?
>
>The following is an overview of the described scenarios with their given
>accessibility solutions:

used similar version, further simplified.

>2.)
>Although the lack of alternative text of graphical information on
>websites is a big problem for people with visual impairment, and the
>'Alt text' guideline pops-up most when thinking of examples of website
>accessibility issues, we did not imply or even mention this in the
>described scenarios.
>
>Although I realize that we can't cover every applicable accessibility
>issue in each scenario, following the second paragraph of the scenario
>of the 'Accountant with blindness' we could ad:
>Since a screen reader can't interpret the meaning of graphical
>information Ms. Laitinen is dependent of the alternative text that has
>been added to the images used for a better understanding of the textual
>information and for the navigation system of the web site.

good catch. added nearby.

>3.)
>In the list of barriers that people with low vision may encounter on the
>Web (section 3) we use the phrase:
>
>'imaged text that cannot be re-wrapped'
>I think this is difficult to understand for people that do not have
>English as a first language

fixed

>4.)
>Description of deafness in section 3
>
>We do cover the captions or transcripts, requirements for voice input
>and content-related images but not the fact that people with early
>deafness can't cope with difficult and long words, sentences and text
>portions.
>A few weeks ago I discussed this with the head of the resource center of
>the university of Brno (Czech Republic) and he described it this way:
>blind students I can help by sending lots of information by e-mail, deaf
>students I have to SMS them to send them information. Meaning that the
>loss of hearing at an early age gives in many cases more problems with
>the textual communication as it is with the auditive communication.

My understanding is that the degree of fluency in written language varies
not only with age of onset of deafness, but with factors such as the type
of educational system that one has had access to. But I believe that our
current text already addresses this by stating:
         "Some deaf individuals' first language is a sign language, and
they may or may not read or speak a language fluently."
In addition, specific barriers listed include:
         "lack of content-related images in pages full of text, which can
slow comprehension for people whose first language may be a sign language
instead of a written/spoken language"

Did you have a more specific suggestion?

>5.)
>According to my spell checker:
>braille = Braille

pending more research to confirm international practice. standard use in
some countries is Braille when referring to Louis Braille, but braille when
referring to the code. in other countries, standard use is Braille for both.

>refered = referred
>labelled = labeled

done.

thanks,

judy

>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>H. Snetselaar
>Bartimeus Educational Institute for the Blind and Partially Sighted
>Utrechtseweg 84, 3702 AD  Zeist, the Netherlands
>Tel: +31-(0)30-6982211 or +31(0)30-6982350
>Fax: +31-(0)30-6982388
>E-mail: H.Snetselaar@bartimeus.nl
>Website: www.bartimeus.nl and www.accessibility.nl
>Zie voor disclaimer (Read our disclaimer):
>www.accessibility.nl/disclaimer.html
>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

>EOWG:
>
>I have again updated the draft of "How People with Disabilities Use the
>Web":
>          http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/PWD-Use-Web/20040302.html
>
>The change log is up-to-date:
>          http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/PWD-Use-Web/changelog.html
>
>I've incorporated some of our most recent change requests from last
>week,
>and made more progress on the old change requests.
>
>In reviewing the document, please:
>          - check for internationalization of disability terminology
>          - check for gaps in assistive technology and adaptive computing
>          - review the "teenager" example
>          - review (again) the "supermarket assistant" example
>
>Thank you,
>
>- Judy
>

>--
>Judy Brewer    +1.617.258.9741    http://www.w3.org/WAI
>Director, Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI), World Wide Web Consortium
>(W3C)
>MIT/CSAIL Room NE43-355, 200 Technology Square, Cambridge, MA,  02139,
>USA

MIT/CSAIL Building 32-G530
32 Vassar Street
Cambridge, MA,  02139,  USA