policy semantics

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 00:40:12 -0800
To: "Shawn Lawton Henry" <shawn@w3.org>, "'EOWG (E-mail)'" <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
At 09:50 AM 3/25/2004 -0600, Shawn Lawton Henry wrote:
>Presenting the Case for Web Accessibility

I likely will sleep through the conference!

I would like to comment on a feature that is addressed in two different
ways throughout the resources, having to do with the relationship between
the "liability" and "social responsibility" points of view. Although my
usual stance has sided with the "it's the law!" viewpoint, I also recognize
the merit of complimenting folks on their being "good citizens" in these
matters so:

In the overview document introduction section "... Web accessibility helps
organizations avoid liability" seems too much like the sort of advice one
gives to help miscreants
avoid prosecution or evade taxes! Later in the "Identify the Organization's
Interests" section this stance is "softened" to "...wanting to show its
leadership as a socially responsible organization" and later under "Sample
Outlines for Different Environments" is the somewhat colder "avoidance of
legal exposure" bullet.

I think some way should be found to use language that doesn't appear
threatening, but still informs the reader that this stuff is now, and will
likely increasingly become, THE LAW. Whether this is accomplished by
commending "good citizenship" or pointing out the sanctions of regulations
and public opinion, our choices of approach should be carefully chosen.

--
Love.

It's Bad Luck to be Superstitious!

---