REPLY TO: social factors - digital divide revisited

After our discussion last week, I am not so concerned about
eliminating the phrase. I was concerned about the international
component and the placement of the phrase in the Scope section.

In my other email, I advocate changing the wording in that section in
a different way that Blossom has suggested but we agree in that, in
that location, the wording needs to change. See #6 and #9 in my list.
#9 some words around digital divide needs to change to lessen the
problem. With those changes, I would be satisfied.

I am not sure how I feel about replacing "digital divide" with
"barriers" in every instance.  It is an option but, if we did that,
we would run into the overuse problem that I was beginning to feel
with the "digital divide" phrase.  I am also not sure, because of
common usage, that "digital divide" and barriers are equal but
barriers work in the sentences. By that I mean it makes logical
sence.  The question is, does using barriers eliminate part of the
meaning that is in "digital divide" that is not in barriers?

Charmane

--

MSU: Advancing Knowledge. Transforming Lives.

Libraries, Computing & Technology: Connecting People and Information

Have a Productive Day!

Charmane K. Corcoran
Information & Project Principal
Michigan State University